St Michael: Ilderton

ilderton church ilderton church ilderton church ilderton church ilderton church ilderton church ilderton church ilderton church

Townships of Ilderton and Roseden were part of the Barony of Wark, and the Church was endowed around 1121. The first incumbent of St. Michael’s was Peter de Ros who died before 1199. The church around 1296 was burned down in the course of a raid by Scots. As the Priory of Kirkham was dissolved in 1539, Ilderton was known as a rectory. The Church was in a complete state of deterioration by 1663 as the only part of the church left was the middle aisle roofed with turf. The turf was removed in 1723 and replace by stone flags. A font was given in 1727 although the church was in serious decay. Later that century the church was completely demolished apart from a portion of the tower, and the floor level was raised to its present level and a new nave was built. The last rector was Reverend Tarver who left the diocese in 1938 and the property was sold various times. In the churchyard is a mausoleum built by Admiral Roddam in 1795 for his deceased second wife Althea who died in 1792.

Interesting church plate of great historic significance includes the Ilderton Communion Cup or Ilderton Chalice with an inscription from 1583 made by Valentine Baker of Newcastle (this chalice is now preserved in the Treasury of York Minster). The Ilderton cup, paten and flagon dated 1799 was presented to the church in 1803 by Ann Roddam.

Interested in cup & ring stones or other archaeological points of interest? Please visit

bottom of logo pic
church number


St Michael

Grade II*


Church Services

info to follow

opening hours

Open at all times